Celebrating 50 Years Of Research Triangle Park
On April 20, 2018, from 9 am to 5 pm events hosted by the RTP Rotary Club and sponsored by major Research Triangle businesses will be taking place around Research Triangle Park.
As part of its 50th-anniversary celebration, join the Research Triangle Park Rotary Club in bringing the RTP Community together to advance Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (STEAM) efforts worldwide.
Partnering with the NC Biotechnology Center, Research Triangle High School, the Kramden Institute, Sigma Xi, STEM in the Park, and others, the RTP Rotary will host multiple STEM/STEAM activities to help get local middle and high school students excited about science and technology opportunities. Other events will highlight innovative RTP companies, large and small, Changing the World. A concluding networking reception will honor past and present RTP leaders who have made major contributions to their respective fields.
Research Triangle High School 9 am – Noon
High school students visit with large RTP companies including Biogen, Cisco Systems, Genworth, GlaxoSmithKline, NetApp, and Underwriters Laboratories.
Lowe’s Grove Middle School 10 am – 2 pm
Middle schoolers learn about physics and science with hands-on learning experiences by Sigma Xi and Kramden Institute.
Public Guided Tours Starting at 9 am
Syngenta, Toshiba, Red Hat, US EPA, Bayer CropScience, and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Learn more about what happens in the Park.
Tickets and information
Innovation Showcase at The North Carolina Biotechnology Center 10 am – 1 pm
Visit an Innovation Showcase highlighting new technologies by the Top 10 Small Companies in RTP. Hamner Conference Center at the NC Biotechnology Center.
Tickets and information
Celebrating the Past, Present, and amazing Future of Research Triangle Park and the STEAM community it encompasses
North Carolina Biotechnology Center 1 pm – 5 pm
Held in the Hamner Conference Center Auditorium the program will include the following:
- Presentations and Recognition*: Past and Present RTP Science Leaders and Small Innovative Companies “Changing the World” in Research Triangle Park
- Future Vision of RTP by Scott Levitan, President and CEO of the Research Triangle Foundation
- Panel Discussion: The Future of STEAM
- Networking Wine and Cheese Reception
*Some of the people being recognized include:
- Mansukh C. Wani, Ph.D., Principal Scientist Emeritus with RTI International, who discovered the widely used anti-cancer agents Camptothecin and Taxol.
- Charles Hamner, DVM, Ph.D., former CEO of the NC Biotechnology Center and pharmaceutical and healthcare consultant.
- F. Ivy Carroll, RTI Distinguished Fellow for Medicinal Chemistry, whose contributions to anticancer, anti-radiation and anti-malarial research are well-documented.
- Fred Brooks, Ph.D., Kenan Professor and founder of the UNC Department of Computer Science, known for managing the development of IBM’s System/360 family of computers and OS/360 software.
- Mary-Dell Chilton, known for her extensive contributions to plant biotechnology and the production of the first transgenic plants.